The past few weeks have been incredibly busy for our family. Between family coming into town and Mike being out of town a couple of weekends, I haven’t really had the most steady routine which makes things hard for me. Couple that with the fact that I haven’t been feeling good and I am just all kinds of a mess.
Without a routine, it is really easy to fall into bad habits. I was able to stay active this weekend, thanks to a 5k I ran.
It wasn’t my fastest 5k ever, but it felt good to get outside and run. I haven’t run in a few weeks and I really missed it! My running buddy, Gen, had a goal for time so she went on without me and she CRUSHED her goal. I was super proud of her!
Once I finished the 5k, my friend and I went to Waffle House for some breakfast and then I went home and went straight to bed. I was exhausted.
While the 5k kept me active this weekend, part of me really wanted to just sleep and eat junk. It’s really easy to use a race or an active weekend as an excuse to eat poorly. “I ran 5 miles, so I can totally eat this burger, large fries, and large shake, right?!” Wrong. Maybe once in awhile, but out of habit? No way. What you CAN do, however, is find a way to make that junk food healthy.
Enter: Healthy Buffalo Chicken Bites.
Frozen buffalo chicken bites used to be huge in our house, but not anymore. They are so horrible for you and who knows what percentage of them is actually chicken. We stopped buying them but, lucky for Mike, I made up a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Bites that was healthy and still delicious. All you need is chicken, panko, some flour, some spices, and your favorite hot sauce. It’s super easy and you (or your kids) will love them!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Bites
originally posted on A Guiltless Glutton
Amount per serving: 245 calories—18g carbs—2g fat—40g protein
**: nutrition information reflects ½ of the amount of the ingredient listed due to excess shaken off or not used during the process.
- 12 oz chicken breast (it was about 3 chicken breasts for me)
- ¼ cup flour**
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion salt
- ½ cup Franks Red Hot or other buffalo sauce**
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs**
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut up your chicken breast into bite sized pieces.
- Mix together flour, garlic powder, and onion salt into a bowl.
- Pour the Franks Red Hot in another bowl.
- Pour the Panko into another bowl.
- Move each piece of chicken from the flour mixture to the buffalo sauce to the Panko then onto a greased (nonstick spray) baking sheet.
- Lightly spray the top of the bites and bake for 5 minutes. Flip, respray, and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with a dressing of choice and dig in!